Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My updates

Well, I'm officially 1/3 of the way done with school, well, okay, not until Thursday, but you get the point. The past 12 weeks have FLOWN by. We had two weeks off for the holidays, which was nice, but the other 10 weeks have been really busy, full of taking notes, writing papers, taking tests and learning procedures. Yesterday was quite interesting as we learned how to hold a baby. Not really just how to hold a baby, but they had to make sure we knew how to do it correctly. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't know how, but it still made me laugh!!

Lets see, what else. I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday. I have my fingers crossed that I'm pregnant. I really don't know what else it could be, but anythings possible. If indeed I am pregnant then I only have about 31 weeks and 5 days until we meet the newest member of our family. If I'm not then something is seriously wrong with my body.

I have been working out every day on the treadmill my parents gave me. I try to do 30 minutes every day. Right now I'm working on increasing the miles I do in 30 minutes rather than extending the length of time. Once I get to a little bit quicker pace I'll start increasing the time, but my goal is and always will be to get in 30 minutes per day everyday, which is 210 more minutes per week than I have gotten over the majority of my life. I know it won't always happen, and things will get in the way, but I want to make exercise the norm not the exception. I'm also hoping that if I exercise daily it will make a good impression on Katie to do the same thing and be fit for life instead of riding the roller coaster of obesity that I have been on for all of my adult life. I used to think I was so fat when I was in school, but I would kill to be as small now as I was then. Positive self image is so important, and a regular fitness regimen goes a long way towards that.

Speaking of exercise and life style changes. Daniel and I have decided to make a few other major changes around our house starting with this pay period. We kind of started working on it for these last two weeks but going forward it 'do or die!' We decided that we are going to plan out our meals for every night of the week and that we are no longer going to eat out with the exception of one family meal out per month, which will usually be lunch after a discount morning movie on a Sunday. Since DH eats out the most he has committed to taking a lunch on a daily basis, and I have committed to not shopping... GASP!! NO Shopping! What??!! I realized recently that I spend more money on crap we don't need than we put away in our savings accounts, so I'm done. If I find something I think I can't live without I'm going to come home, discuss it with Daniel and think about it for a few days before making the final decision to purchase, hoping that most of the time I'll decide against it. I mean, really, we don't need anything else! We're even going to be frugal in the baby gear we purchase since we had more than we ever could have used with Katie. Having said all that I have to admit, I have an addiction to Target! It is certainly going to take me a while to adjust to not making a pit stop there every week, maybe they should make shopping less convenient. I can always window shop right? Maybe Daniel should take away my debit card and lock it up!!

I feel so much more responsible for making these changes happen now that I've put them out here for you all to see. I am determined to teach our children, and re-teach ourselves, to be physically, financially and most of all emotionally healthy!

Off to bed!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I cant wait till this doc appt. As for the other changes they all sound fantastic. I have been on both eating, working out and money issues since the beginning of last yr. Its still a struggle, so be sure you in it for the long haul, but im sure you all will be. Im so happy for you all!
-h

partyof9 said...

Can't wait to hear about your Drs appt, Joanne. I pray it is wonderful news.